1938, Modern Mechanix
The picture doesn’t show it, but the alarm puller wouldn’t actually be shackled to the burning building; instead, a large cuff would detach from the alarm box and secure itself to their wrist until unlocked by the fire department.
This was the solution to the problem created by the prevalence of pranks and false alarms in the 30’s. After fire depts realized that around 20% of calls were a waste of time, some turned to these sorts of innovative solutions.
This was also demonstrated in a 1970’s documentary, “Gizmo!”
via Instagram http://bit.ly/39TbApE
- February 5, 2020 February 05, 2020 at 02:17PM Pewter Box for carrying leeches, 19th century.
via Instagram http://bit.ly/38289Mf
- August 12, 2019 August 12, 2019 at 08:19PM Allison got a Japanese candy box, and I really dig the pictures on this particular […]
- December 30, 2019 December 30, 2019 at 09:41PM Rome fell. We managed an alliance with the Saxons & Frank's, but it was to no avail!
- December 30, 2019 December 30, 2019 at 07:54PM First play of Pandemic Fall of Rome, I am a Mercador in Roma to start with 2 […]
- December 30, 2019 December 30, 2019 at 12:45PM Super vivid rainbow post-rainstorm on our route to Occoquan, VA
via Instagram http://bit.ly/2SAyRGZ