My friend wanted to get a drink at Vertical around the corner but they were closed last night (Monday) so I mentioned I had seen E’s and thought it might be fun to try a bar I didn’t know a damn thing… (via Scotto B. on Yelp)
Chewing through a very solid work week – A lot of items on the desk to weed through. SQL is taking top priority, given our release date, but there are a lot of items to deal with from various aspects of the web site to planning budgets.
It’s a pretty challenging gig, and I like it like that. Not a lot of time to learn, but learn-as-you-go seems to be the rule for any tech thing nowadays.
Not enough code to worry about at work? Here’s some icehouse game java in the works, too. I’m not even going to look at that stuff until sometime in 2008, most likely – after crunch time at the office.
Taco night with the in-laws and BHK’s longtime pal Lucas (edit – LUKE! NOT LUC!) – he’s in town for a span before going off to NY or CA for work. I hope we get to have him over a few more nights before he launches – perhaps he’ll be interested in playing some parlor games in addition to any chick flicks that he and BHK both seem to dig.
I am very weary tonight – hitting the sack early. I don’t know if it’s the rainy weather, or what, but I’ve been feeling a need to snooze. I’m all for cool, misty days, and if a little sleepiness is a result, that’s ok, too. I think that I may be a bit tired due to a lack of unwinding when I first got home… I’ll try to kick off my shoes and change into some play clothes a bit sooner tomorrow.
Saw our “whatever” sort of bird of prey in our backyard… still sans camera, so a animated drawing will have to suffice.
‘Serial killer marked victims on a chessboard’ Continue reading 8962 – Tues
H.P. Lovecraft’s Birthday again, is it? 117, at this point.
Have a fistful o’ links sngged from an eldritch hobbit –
- The H.P. Lovecraft Archive
- Index of The Works of Howard Phillips Lovecraft
- H.P. Lovecraft’s Library
- The H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society
* For those of you who use iTunes, Lit2Go from the University of Southern Florida offers a number of free, unabridged audiobooks from the likes of Horace Walpole, Ann Radcliffe, the Brontë sisters, Edgar Allan Poe, Wilkie Collins, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and H.G. Wells, among others.
* The Guardian reports on which books 2,000 readers have chosen as the Greatest Love Story of All Time, based on a poll sponsored by the UKTV Drama Channel.
The Top Ten list looks like this:
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë, 1847
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, 1813
- Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare, 1597
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, 1847
- Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell, 1936
- The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje, 1992
- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, 1938
- Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak, 1957
- Lady Chatterley’s Lover by DH Lawrence, 1928
- Far from The Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy, 1874
Marin Kettle responds in The Guardian with “If Wuthering Heights is a love story, Hamlet is a sitcom.”
Wonderfully cool today – sort of surreal for August. 66° F outside – Hard to believe it was feeling like 110 just a few days ago.
Think of it as Autumn Training Day. I’m looking quite forward to more weather like this.
BHK’s birthday is this weekend, same day as the Ren-Fest starting. I suspect that we won’t go the first weekend…. a little party with family on Saturday, and dinner at Tina’s on Sunday. I hope that Chris can get Louise to come and bring some good wishes to at least one of those events.
The paper version is $10, but you can download a PDF version FREE at that page!
Don’t have a farm? There’s still lots of great information there, including bee forage plant lists, how to build homes for native bees, and pesticides to avoid. And–beautiful photos of native bees and their nests.
1 year ago
– mr jones, fort lauderdale happenings / movies, walkabout basics, the shield, nose buttering in comments.
2 years ago – dinner out, hee haw, chitty chatting, Kong SE, gun-related homicide in the workplace, monkey and duck picture, weatherbonk
3 years ago – ADP hammers another nail in her on-call casket, supes & robot doubles, past Halloween costumes, drunkie-bear, Todd Fatta, RIP
4 years ago – virus PSA, Zombie Sim rework, the current gig, candy poll, monty python toys, 2-headed baby, magic egg, witches, sentinel cam, work observations (turned out correct), Pam pings me, good/evil evaluation
5 years ago – megaliths, interviewing, super manatee, giant grasshoppers, weathercams, miss cleo in trouble, landlord- no fans, Finn issue
6 years ago – writing – invisible, words of the day, tattoo & misocainea, MS kills NS plugins, griegstein