H.P. Lovecraft’s Birthday again, is it? 117, at this point.
Have a fistful o’ links sngged from an eldritch hobbit –
- The H.P. Lovecraft Archive
- Index of The Works of Howard Phillips Lovecraft
- H.P. Lovecraft’s Library
- The H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society
* For those of you who use iTunes, Lit2Go from the University of Southern Florida offers a number of free, unabridged audiobooks from the likes of Horace Walpole, Ann Radcliffe, the Brontë sisters, Edgar Allan Poe, Wilkie Collins, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and H.G. Wells, among others.
* The Guardian reports on which books 2,000 readers have chosen as the Greatest Love Story of All Time, based on a poll sponsored by the UKTV Drama Channel.
The Top Ten list looks like this:
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë, 1847
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, 1813
- Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare, 1597
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, 1847
- Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell, 1936
- The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje, 1992
- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, 1938
- Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak, 1957
- Lady Chatterley’s Lover by DH Lawrence, 1928
- Far from The Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy, 1874
Marin Kettle responds in The Guardian with “If Wuthering Heights is a love story, Hamlet is a sitcom.”
Wonderfully cool today – sort of surreal for August. 66° F outside – Hard to believe it was feeling like 110 just a few days ago.
Think of it as Autumn Training Day. I’m looking quite forward to more weather like this.
BHK’s birthday is this weekend, same day as the Ren-Fest starting. I suspect that we won’t go the first weekend…. a little party with family on Saturday, and dinner at Tina’s on Sunday. I hope that Chris can get Louise to come and bring some good wishes to at least one of those events.
The paper version is $10, but you can download a PDF version FREE at that page!
Don’t have a farm? There’s still lots of great information there, including bee forage plant lists, how to build homes for native bees, and pesticides to avoid. And–beautiful photos of native bees and their nests.
1 year ago – mr jones, fort lauderdale happenings / movies, walkabout basics, the shield, nose buttering in comments.
2 years ago – dinner out, hee haw, chitty chatting, Kong SE, gun-related homicide in the workplace, monkey and duck picture, weatherbonk
3 years ago – ADP hammers another nail in her on-call casket, supes & robot doubles, past Halloween costumes, drunkie-bear, Todd Fatta, RIP
4 years ago – virus PSA, Zombie Sim rework, the current gig, candy poll, monty python toys, 2-headed baby, magic egg, witches, sentinel cam, work observations (turned out correct), Pam pings me, good/evil evaluation
5 years ago – megaliths, interviewing, super manatee, giant grasshoppers, weathercams, miss cleo in trouble, landlord- no fans, Finn issue
6 years ago – writing – invisible, words of the day, tattoo & misocainea, MS kills NS plugins, griegstein
7 years ago – empty