Avast! It be Talk like a pirate day! Well, shave me belly with a rusty razor! I tell ya true!
Ye scurvy swabs! Batten down your poop-decks!
Happy 77th B-day, Adam West!
My first direct impact with gas prices. I took a taxi just up the street to do laundry (my load being too large to frog-march), and to prices have gone up considerably since my last use… before, the haul was $2.50 for the entire trip, but with the new pricing, it cost $3.70. The new cost is $2.50 just to get into the vehicle, and the first 1/6 mile. $.40 each additional 1/6 mile after that.
Time for me to price out a new wheel-cart. Heaven help anyone that actually has to go a considerable distance, like the airport or the like.
I was reflecting on times that were less prosperous for me. When at my worst, I had no place to live, and couldn’t afford to eat my fill, even at taco bell. If it wasn’t for food stamps for that month, I probably would’ve had to steal to survive.
That brought to mind all of these false charities, designed to take money meant to feed children and line the pockets of someone taking advantage of the disaster and the kinder natures of the human heart.
If I ever meet someone driving a Cadillac fueled by children he killed, I will use my imagination to its fullest extent to make that person suffer like no other. I have a very good imagination. Those thoughts fanned my more angry side for a bit, making me brew methods of pain on all levels against another person, in all four rooms of his house ( A physical, a mental, an emotional and a spiritual.) That upset me a bit, because I like to consider myself a kind and merciful person.
I have no kind or merciful thoughts for someone who hurts children for personal gain. I don’t feel forgiveness in my heart for them… I just want to hurt them in every way possible, and to make an example for anyone else who might think to do such stuff.
Not a terribly Christian attitude, and that saddens me on another level. My anger outweighs my sadness, however.
My teeth feel sharp against my tongue. The funny thing is that I feel pretty good in most other respects. more friendly-folk recently, a bit of an ease in workplace issues (just a bit).
Just found some folks speaking about me in a kind way during a random google update… how nice!
had a good time at qdot’s with uber and the gang, but I logged out a bit early, to prep for mondays’ hubbub.. prep the office for possible storm issues.
“Fiat Lux” is a 3-D movie by Paul Debevec, who pioneered HDRI and image-based lighting and rendering for realistic and stunning 3-D imagery.
Hurricane Rita. Here we go again!
corrected storm tide heights
national weather service miami fl
555 am edt mon sep 19 2005
…rita becoming better organized and remains a threat for mainland south
this statement provides information for persons in miami-dade…
mainland monroe…broward…collier…palm beach…hendry…and
glades counties in south florida.
updated watches/warnings/storm information
updated wind impact
updated storm tide
updated preparedness recommendations
at 5 am edt…a tropical storm watch is now in effect for the gulf coast from
east cape sable north to chokoloskee. a tropical storm warning and a hurricane
watch remains now in effect for the southeast florida coast from deerfield beach
south and west to cape sable on the southwest florida coast. an inland tropical
storm warning remains in effect for inland metropolitan broward…all of miami-
dade and all of mainland monroe counties. a hurricane warning remains in effect
for all of the florida keys including florida bay.
at 5 am edt…the center of tropical storm rita was located near
latitude 22.7 north…longitude 74.3 west or about 425 miles east
southeast of miami. rita is moving toward the west around 9 miles an hour.
a motion just a little north of due west is expected over the next 24 hours.
maximum sustained winds are near 60 mph with higher gusts. additional
strengthening is expected and rita could become a hurricane during the next 24
rita is becoming stronger and moving steadily on a course toward the
florida straits and the southeast gulf of mexico. residents of miami-dade…
broward…and mainland monroe counties should begin making preparations for
tropical storm force winds…39 to 73 mph…immediately. even if the center of
rita passes south of the florida keys…tropical storm force winds are expected
to affect metro miami-dade and metro broward counties as early as tuesday
morning and last all day. tropical storm force winds will cause tree damage
and power outages similar to what was expected with katrina in late august.
in addition…rita is expected to strengthen as it moves westward. it could
become necessary to implement emergency hurricane preparations should the
forecast change and a hurricane warning be issued for part of mainland south
florida later today. all residents of mainland south florida should remain
weather alert and keep up with the latest information on rita.
a hurricane watch means that hurricane conditions…including winds
of 74 mph or greater…are possible in the watch area during the
next 36 hours. a tropical storm warning means that winds of 39 to 73
mph are expected in the warning area within 24 hours. a tropical storm
watch means that winds of 39 to 73 mph are possible in the watch area
in the next 36 hours. south floridians are urged to monitor the progress
of rita and listen to advice from local officials. decisions on preparedness
action for rita will be made by county officials later today.
…storm surge flood and storm tide impacts…
high tides are already about a half foot to a foot above normal along the
southeast atlantic coast due to the onshore northeast wind flow but also due
to spring tides associated with the full moon. the storm tide associated
with rita depends heavily on the exact track of the center of the storm. with
the present forecast track and intensity…the maximum storm tide…which
includes the storm surge and the high astronomical tide…would be 3 to 5 feet
above mean sea level. this can be expected to occur near and just to the north
of where the center passes around the time of high tide which would be 10 to 11
am tuesday. on the current forecast track the highest storm tide of 3 to 5 feet
will likely affect southern portions of biscayne bay and elliott key. maximum
storm tides of 3 to 5 feet above mean sea level are also possible for the
remainder of biscayne bay including coconut grove and possibly from key biscayne
to miami beach. storm tide heights up to 1 to 3 feet above mean sea level might
occur over the rest of coastal miami-dade and broward counties. on top of this
storm tide…large waves causing extensive beach erosion are also possible.
for the gulf coast of southwest florida…the maximum storm tide would not
occur until the wind becomes more onshore beginning late tuesday night and
lasting into wednesday morning. maximum storm tide would be from 2 to 3 feet
above mean sea level around 2 to 3 am wednesday.
northeast winds will slowly be increasing across the southeast metro atlantic
coast of florida today…reaching 20 to 25 mph this afternoon. winds will
become more easterly and frequently gust to tropical storm force…39 to 73
mph…particularly over miami-dade…mainland monroe and southern broward
county…after midnight tonight. the strongest winds will occur tuesday morning
then begin to decrease later tuesday. winds of this velocity are strong enough
to blow down trees and tree limbs which will likely affect power lines causing
power outages. people should begin to put up storm shutters once again
especially in miami-dade and mainland monroe counties.
…probability of hurricane/tropical storm conditions…
the maximum probability of tropical storm force winds along the southeast
florida coast ranges from around 70 percent in homestead…62 percent in miami
…52 percent in fort lauderdale and 42 percent in west palm beach. the
probability of hurricane force winds is around 8 percent all along the
southeast florida coast.
on the gulf coast of southwest florida…the maximum probability of tropical
storm force winds is around 70 percent in everglades national park and 63
percent in marco island and naples. the probability of hurricane force winds is
around 20 to 25 percent all along the southwest florida coast.
…local marine impacts…
northeast winds are already 15 to 20 knots with occasional gusts to 25
knots across the atlantic coastal waters of southeast florida. winds will be
slowly increasing across the atlantic coastal waters today…frequently
gusting to 35 knots by this evening. tropical storm force winds of 34 to 64
knots will begin around midnight tonight and continuing through much of
tuesday finally diminishing tuesday evening. small craft should remain in port.
mariners should secure their boats today remembering to allow plenty of extra
line for the expected higher tides especially in biscayne bay.
northeast winds of 10 to 15 knots will begin across the gulf coastal waters
of mainland monroe county this morning and slowly increase this afternoon. winds
over the gulf of mexico within 20 nautical miles of the southwest gulf coast
from east cape sable to chokoloskee will increase to tropical storm strength
tuesday morning and continue through tuesday evening. small craft should not
venture far from port this morning and should remain in port beginning this
surf along the southeast florida ocean beaches will become increasingly rough
today becoming very rough tonight and tuesday. dangerous rip currents are
possible this afternoon through tuesday and persons are urged to swim at
guarded beaches or remain out of the water.
…local flood impacts…
a flood outlook has been issued for all of south florida detailing
the possibility of heavy rain. rainfall amounts of 3 to 5 inches with
locally higher amounts are possible…mainly in miami-dade and
mainland monroe counties. the heavy rain will begin late tonight and
continue through tuesday and tuesday night. rainfall in areas from broward to
palm beach counties and also in collier…hendry and glades counties
should average 1 to 3 inches. a flood watch will likely be issued later today
for part of mainland south florida.
…local tornado impacts…
there is a slight chance of small quick striking tornadoes in the outer
rainbands of rita. the chance of tornadoes will begin late tonight and
last through tuesday with the greatest chance tuesday afternoon and evening.
the next local statement will be issued around 11 am today. for a graphical
depiction of this statement please visit the miami weather forecast office web
site at www.miamiweather.info or en espanol at www.eltiempoenmiami.info.
I hope power stays up the whole time.
Moment of lyric (quicktime movie – via heartsarts)
Help, I have done it again
I have been here many times before
Hurt myself again today
And, the worst part is there’s no-one else to blame
Be my friend
Hold me, wrap me up
I am small
Warm me up
And breathe me
Ouch I have lost myself again
Lost myself and I am nowhere to be found,
Yeah I think that I might break
I’ve lost myself again and I feel unsafe
Be my friend
Hold me, wrap me up
I am small
Warm me up
And breathe me
Be my friend
Hold me, wrap me up
I am small
Warm me up
And breathe me
Look at the following list and:
1) Bold what is true about you.
2) Italicize what you wish was true about you.
3) Add one true thing about you to the end of the list.
4) Tag five LJ
* I miss somebody right now.
* I don’t watch much TV these days.
* I own lots of books.
* I wear glasses or contact lenses.
* I love to play video games.
* I’ve tried marijuana.
* I’ve watched porn movies.
* I have been the psycho-ex in a past relationship.
* I believe honesty is usually always the best policy.
* I curse sometimes
* I have changed a lot mentally over the last year.
* I carry my knife/razor everywhere with me.
* I have broken someone’s bones. accidentally of course
* I have a secret that I am ashamed to reveal.
* I hate the rain.
* I’m paranoid at times.
* I would get plastic surgery if it were 100% safe, free of cost, and scar-free.
* I need/want money right now.
* I love sushi.
* I talk really, really fast.
* I have fresh breath in the morning.
* I have long hair.
* I have lost money in Las Vegas.
* I have at least one sibling.
* I was born in a country outside of the U.S.
* I have worn fake hair/fingernails/eyelashes in the past.
* I couldn’t survive without Caller I.D.
* I like the way that I look.
* I have lied to a good friend in the last 6 months.
* I am usually pessimistic.
* I have a lot of mood swings.
* I think prostitution should be legalized.
* I slept with a roommate.
* I have a hidden talent.
* I’m always hyper no matter how much sugar I have.
* I have a lot of friends.
* I am currently single.
* I have pecked someone of the same sex.
* I enjoy talking on the phone.
* I practically live in sweatpants or PJ pants.
* I love to shop and/or window shop.
* I’m obsessed with my Xanga or Livejournal. (well, update it daily.. for over 5 years.)
* I don’t hate anyone. I dislike them.
* I’m a pretty good dancer.
* I’m completely embarrassed to be seen with my mother.
* I have a cell phone. (work provides one)
* I believe in God.
* I have passed out drunk in the past 6 months.
* I’ve rejected someone before.
* I currently like/love someone.
* I have no idea what I want to do for the rest of my life.
* I want to have children in the future. (if there’s a mate involved)
* I have changed a diaper before.
* I’ve called the cops on a friend before.
* I’m not allergic to anything. that I know of…
* I have a lot to learn.
* I have been with someone at least 10 years older or younger.
* I am shy around the opposite sex.
* I’m online 24/7, even as an away message.
* I have at least 5 away messages saved.
* I have tried alcohol or drugs before.
* I have made a move on a friend’s significant other or crush in the past.
* I own the “South Park” movie.
* I have avoided assignments at work/school to be on Xanga or Livejournal. (I’ve used it as an excuse to procrastinate, true)
* I enjoy some country music.
* I would die for my best friends. (depends)
* I’m obsessive, and often a perfectionist.
* I have used my sexuality to advance my career.
* Halloween is awesome because you get free candy.
* I have dated a close friend’s ex.
* I am happy at this moment.
* I’m obsessed with guys.
* Conservative Republican.
* I am punk rockish.
* I go for older guys/girls, not younger. (varies by person)
* I study for tests most of the time.
* I tie my shoelaces differently from anyone I’ve ever met.
* I can work on a car.
* I love my job.
* I am comfortable with who I am right now.
* I have more than just my ears pierced.
* I walk barefoot wherever I can.
* I have jumped off a bridge.
* I love sea turtles.
* I spend ridiculous amounts of money on makeup.
* I plan on achieving a major goal/dream.
* I am proficient on a musical instrument.
* I hate office jobs.
* I love sci-fi movies.
* I went to college out of state.
* I am adopted.
* I am a pyro.
* I have thrown up from crying too much.
* I have been intentionally hurt by people that I loved.
* I fall for the worst best people and have been hurt every time.
* I adore bright colors.
* I usually like covers better than originals.
* I hate chain theme restaurants like Applebees and TGIFridays.
* I can pick up things with my toes.
* I can’t whistle.
* I have ridden/owned a horse.
* I still have every journal I’ve ever written in.
* I talk in my sleep.
* I’ve often thought that I was born in the wrong century decade.
* I try to forget things by drowning them out with loads of distractions.
* I wear a toe ring.
* I have a tattoo.
* I can’t stand at LEAST one person that I work with.
* I am a caffeine junkie.
* I am completely tree-huggy spiritual, and I’m not ashamed at all.
* If I knew I would get away with it, I would commit at least one murder.
* I cosplayed or know what cosplaying is.
* I have been to over 15 conventions.
* I will collect anything, and the more nonsensical, the better.
* I enjoy a nice glass of wine with dinner.
* I’m an artist.
* I am ambidexterous.
* I sleep with so many stuffed animals, I can hardly fit on my bed.
* If it weren’t for having to see other people naked, I’d live in a nudist colony.
* I have terrible teeth.
* I hate my toes.
* I did this Meme even though I wasn’t tagged by the person who took it before me.
* I have more friends on the internet than in real life.
* I have lived in either three different states or countries.
* I am extremely flexible.
* I love hugs more than kisses.
* I want to own my own business.
* I smoke.
* I spend way too much time on the computer than on anything else.
* Nobody has ever said I’m normal.
* Sad movies, games, fics and the like can cause a trickle of tear every now and then.
* I am proficient in the use of many types firearms and combat weapons.
* I like the way women look in stylized men’s suits.(depends)
* I don’t like it when people are unpleased or seem unpleased with me.
* I have been described as a dreamer or likely to have my head up in the clouds.
* I have played strip poker with someone else before.
* I have had emotional problems for which I have sought professional help.
* I believe in ghosts and the paranormal.
* I can’t stand being alone.
* I have at least one obsession at any given time.
* I weigh myself, pee/poo, and then weigh myself again.
* I consistently spend way too much money on obsessions-of-the-moment.
* I’m a judgmental asshole.
* I’m a HUGE drama-queen.
* I have traveled on more than one continent.
* I sometimes wish my father would just disappear.
* I need people to tell me I’m good at something in order to feel that I am.
* I am a Libertarian.
* I could speak more than one language. (I’m about 2nd grade competant in german and kinderdarden spanish)
* I can fall asleep even if the whole room is as noisy as it can be.
* I would rather read than watch TV.
* I like reading fact more than fiction. variable
* I have pulled an all-nighter on an assignment I was given a month to do.
* I have no piercings.
* I have spent the night in a train station or other public places
* I have been so upset over my physical gender that I cried.
* I once spent Christmas completely alone because there was a miscommunication on which parent was supposed to have me that night.
* I’ve been married and am now divorced.
* There have been times when I have wondered “Why was I born?” and may/may not have cried over it.
* I like most animals better than most people.
* I own a collection of retro games consoles. – I used to, but when I moved, out they went.
* I often feel completely out of control of my life.
* Sometimes I wish I could stop myself from saying things
* I love going to the gym
* I can pinpoint the exact moment my life completely changed (there are a few of these)
* I should probably have gone to bed over an hour ago.
* I think backrubs are one of the reasons people have hands. and Backs.
1 year ago – iPatch, out with Danny, walkabout pictures, Clown doll conspiracy
2 years ago – Pirate palindrome, photo-“found”, Spectre reads minds… literally, severed heads, Brazil tech (#6101)
3 years ago – mysterious phone call, myth structure of Miami kids, Newt pic, pesky van, cej figure done, heroclix with Danny pictures, cosmic encounter
4 years ago – museum of online museums, dictum, interesting lj-er poll, inanimate object poll, I love degauss, “the incident”, jimmy back on Ben stein, Halloween cookie recipe, Litter box-cookies, Adam West 73
5 years ago – word from Wu!, slackin’, food for the poor