Power was off at work until about 2pm… when the server woke back up, it emailed me, asking for permission to stay awake, so I told it to go ahead. Big Kahuna, Rogers and I went in and unpacked all of the other hardware. I got the office up and running in about an hour and a half… one of the benefits of being in a hurricane environment is knowing how to pack and unpack in a blink. The building was *hot*.. sealed up for three days without A/C makes the third floor like an attic, but the place got cranking with cool about the time I left. Too late for me, I was a walking river by that time. (Two floors of machines, telephone and other hardware had to be put back together. I’m leaving it to the office-folks to put pictures and such back. No water damage, but the wind really played havoc with the branches everywhere we went.
Today will be a more straight-forward day.
Disco-Hitler. It’s him. He’s the supervillain I’ve been wondering about. (more musical villains here) It’s been around for ages, but every time I rediscover it, it kills me.
Ivan looks like he’s keeping a Southerly course, sneaking up the West Coast of Florida. Still too early to fret, but at least the weekend isn’t wrecked.
The World of Warcraft demo is looking neato! Here’s a peek at Whimsy’s Night Elf… note the plunging neckline, and freakishly large hands. good size for wallpaper… I like the little flowers on the Guardian Tree’s feet and organic feel of the whole place. I’m envious, because she’s a druid and can shapeshift into a bear! However, I think I’d have more fun playing the giant tree.
A 3D chocolate printer in the works. That’s a really cool idea… a *lot* of potential there. Made out of lego. superb thought.
Episode 11 of Making Fiends is here!
America’s Army is pretty cool. It’s a fun bit of military recruitment, disguised as a FPS. Graphics are nice.. I wonder how many folks have been convinced to join up as a result? I’m doing the medic training… it’s interesting and educational.
The closest thing to a mech I’ve ever seen. Look at the size of the thing!!! That’s not forced perspective… it’s just fricking enormous. (spun into from here)
Those little things at the base? A big ol’ earthmover, and 2 ant-sized people. Maybe it’s my little-kid fascination with giant machines, or perhaps it’s the giant bucket wheel “buzz-saw”… but Wowie. What sort of noise?
I thought those platforms that moved the space shuttle were big.
I bet the same mad scientist that’s flinging hurricanes at me uses these as party-fun time doomsday device.
The Large Bucket Wheel Excavator
- Stands over 310 feet tall (higher than the Statue of Liberty)
- Is over 700 feet long (2 ½ football fields)
- Weighs over 100 million pounds
- Cost $100 million, took 5 years to design & manufacture and 5 years to assemble on site
- Requires 5 people to operate (including CAT D6R bulldozer operator)
- The Bucket Wheel is over 70 feet in diameter with 20 buckets each of which can hold over 20 cubic yards of material. A 6-foot man can stand up inside one of the buckets.
- The “Belt Caddy” is separately operated and has a retractable boom which connects it to the Bucket Wheel Excavator
- It moves on 12 crawlers (each is 12’ wide, 8’ high and 45’ long) – 8 in front and 4 in back
- It can remove over 100,000 cubic yards of overburden each day
1 year ago – Meredith moves out, Frankie mooch’s wank machine, saw Ray-I, Dubai-mail, some cool links
2 years ago – Got dave into mage knight, Saw Mark Archilla, 12 dragons smells of cat pee, I got some perfect pre-dyed sheets.
3 years ago – If I were, nice night, purple monkey dishwasher
4 years ago – rant and UB-X